What To Bring
At the Stony Mountain Lodge, we like being certain all guests are prepared. Weather conditions vary in this region with temperatures that can vary from 50 to 80 degrees. Below is a list of the items you’ll need to pack if you are visiting us.
When scheduling a tour at the lodge, be prepared for cold weather. We recommend:
- Layering clothing works best so you can add or remove layers.
- Jeans, short sleeved t-shirts, a long-sleeved shirt, light polar fleece jacket or warm sweatshirt plus a warmer jacket.
- Baseball cap, warmer hat and gloves for chilly mornings or evenings.
- Comfortable hiking boots and warm socks.
- Rain coat or poncho with hood.
- Eye protection is mandatory so bring sunglasses. If you have them, polarized glasses make it easy to see the fish in the rivers.
- Medications and Personal care items
In addition to the above we recommend:
- Fishing rods – we have quality fishing rods available if you prefer.
- Waders – felt bottom boots are prohibited. We can provide but need your size one week in advance.
- Fishing License
When hunting at the lodge, be prepared for cold weather. The following list is proven for our hunts:
- Hunting licenses and Tags
- Rifle, 40 rounds of ammo for the field
- 1 sturdy, large backpack with rain cover
- Binoculars with neck strap
- 1 long (3/4 length) Helly Hanson Impertec rain coat or equivalent
- 1 pair of Helly Hanson Impertec rain pants or equivalent
- 1 pair of insulated hip boots similar to Lacrosse Big Chiefs or equivalent with 2 pairs of SERVUS felt insoles or equivalent
- 1 pair of insulated ATLAS rubber gloves
- 1 pair of fleece gloves
- 1 light musher type hat with ear flaps, 1 baseball type cap
- 1 sleeping bag for temperatures as chilly as 20°F
- 1 Thermarest type sleeping pad
Think layering for warmth and staying dry:
- 2 sets of light and warm “long johns” and long sleeved under garments (polypro or wool, no cotton)
- 2 hunting pants (fleece or wool, no cotton)
- 2 hunting shirts (fleece or wool, no cotton)
- 1 warm, “puffy” type light jacket with attached hood
- 1 loose fitting field coat (fleece type)
- 1 field head lamp (4 AA battery type) plus 1 camp head lamp (3AAA battery type, with spare batteries)
- 1 small pocket flash light, with spare batteries
- 1 pocket knife
- Bug dope
- Head net (black mesh, not green)
- 1 pair of camp slippers like Crocs or equivalent
- Medications and personal care items for a 10 day field trip
We encourage you to bring your cameras, batteries and binoculars. Smart phones and iPads too!
We ask that you pack light as we are limited to space and weight restrictions on the private aircraft. Soft-sided duffels are best. One can be provided at the hangar if you do not have one. We will bring only what you need and your additional luggage will be stored for you at the hangar until you return.